ADSM-L

Re: SOLVED Re: [ADSM-L] dsm.opt not fully effective for server induced backups

2006-04-29 12:58:20
Subject: Re: SOLVED Re: [ADSM-L] dsm.opt not fully effective for server induced backups
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:01:15 -0600
Hi Michal,

I am happy to hear that you found my presentation materials useful! :-)

Question regarding your statement:

> ... but in fact I wasn't looking for a way to
> exclude the whole drive ...

Your original question seemed to regard how to exclude the e: drive... if
you did not want to exclude the entire drive, then what were you trying to
do?

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 04/29/2006
07:23:55:

> Thank you.
>
> I have restarted TSM scheduler services and it has now worked as
> expected. I would have expected that the change would be effective if I
> have run through the wizard in the BA Client and it said 'Scheduler
> service successfully updated'. I got the clue after seeing slide 6 from
> Raibeck's "TSM Client Diagnostics" ("Check the usual suspects: If you
> changed the client options, did you remember to restart the
> scheduler?").
>
> Andy, you are most probably wrong then, 'exclude.dir drive:* + exclude
> drive:*' works on Windows to exclude the drive from backups. The 'domain
> -drive:' syntax works too but in fact I wasn't looking for a way to
> exclude the whole drive, I was baffled that the normal exclude syntax
> doesn't work.
>
> The 'exclude.dir drive:....' syntax is definitely documented on multiple
> places (see e.g.
> http://publib.boulder.ibm.
> com/tividd/td/TSMC/SH26-4117-01/en_US/HTML/ans60014.htm - I believe
> that I copied the exmample from this particular document (syntax
> with '...' (e:\....\*), which probably is meaningless when followed by
'*')).

> Andy Huebner wrote:
> > I do not mean to be disagreeable, but my testing has indicated that
you
> > cannot exclude a drive in Windows with an exclude or exclude.dir
> > command.  I use the domain -z: and that works.
> >
> > This may also have to do with versions and other stuff.
> >
> > Andy Huebner
Of
> [...]
> > \...\ea data. sf"
> > INCLEXCL                            11          Yes     EXCLUDE *:
> > \...\pagefile.sys
> > INCLEXCL                            12          Yes     EXCLUDE *:
> > \...\ibmbio.com
> > INCLEXCL                            13          Yes     EXCLUDE *:
> > \ibmdos.com
> > INCLEXCL                            14          Yes     EXCLUDE *:
> > \msdos.sys
> > INCLEXCL                            15          Yes     EXCLUDE
*:io.sys
> > INCLEXCL                            16          Yes     EXCLUDE.dir *:
> > \recycled
> > INCLEXCL                            17          Yes     EXCLUDE.dir *:
> > \recycler
> > INCLEXCL                            18          Yes     EXCLUDE.dir *:
> > \...\system32\wins
> > INCLEXCL                            19          Yes     EXCLUDE.dir *:
> > \...\system32\LServer
> > INCLEXCL                            20          Yes     EXCLUDE.dir *:
> > \...\system32\dhcp
> > INCLEXCL                            21          Yes     EXCLUDE.dir *:
> > \...\system32\config
> > INCLEXCL                            22           No     EXCLUDE.dir
"*:
> > \system volume information"
> > INCLEXCL                            23          Yes     EXCLUDE *:
> > \...\system32\perflib*.dat
> > INCLEXCL                            24           No     EXCLUDE "*:
> > \Documents and Settings\...\ntuser.dat.LOG"
> > INCLEXCL                            25           No     EXCLUDE "*:
> > \Documents and Settings\...\ntuser.dat"
> > INCLEXCL                            26           No     EXCLUDE "*:
> > \Documents and Settings\...\usrclass.dat.LOG"
> > INCLEXCL                            27           No     EXCLUDE "*:
> > \Documents and Settings\...\usrclass.dat"
> > INCLEXCL                            28           No     EXCLUDE "*:
> > \Documents and Settings\...\ntuser.ini"
> > INCLEXCL                            29           No
> > exclude.systemobject
> > QUIET                                0          Yes     YES
> > SCHEDMODE                            0          Yes     PROMPTED
> > SUBDIR                               0          Yes     YES
> > -------
> >

> > In the tsmerror.log on the client I see 'Invalid option
> > 'EXCLUDE.SYSTEMOBJECT' found in cloptset and multiple warnings about
> > duplicate include/exclude entries.
> >
> > There is again the small error with using '*' and '*.*'. I can clean
it
> > up (someobody else created all the configurations and he isn't
available
> > anymore) if needed.
> >
> > In the tsmsched.log I see that the scheduler is sending the data from
e:
> > (there is e.g. lines ".. ANS1228E Sending of object
'\\s-eu-vie01db01\e