ADSM-L

Verify policy used

2006-04-27 10:28:13
Subject: Verify policy used
From: Scott Foley <sfoley AT NETDOCUMENTS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 08:18:28 -0600
I think I am retaining too much data on my backups.  I want to know how
to verify the retention period of the files that are backed up.

I don't want to keep any changed or deleted data older than 35 days.
All of the retention information is set to 35 days in the backup copy
group called STANDARD.

Versions Data Exists    35
Versions Data Deleted   35
Retain Extra Versions   35
Retain Only Version     35

I think this is correct, but I am not sure if the backup that is run
actually uses this copy group.  I am not using the scheduler, but am
launching the backups using a script that calls "dsmc i
-optfile=backup.opt".  In the backup.opt file I have

domain \\server\docs\
include \\server\docs\ MY_STANDARD

MY_STANDARD is the name of the Policy Domain and also the Policy Set and
the  Mgmt Class that the STANDARD copy group is in.

This seems correct to me, although I honestly can say I don't really
understand it.  How can I verify that the backup used this copy group?
Should all deleted and changed documents older than 35 days be removed
using the 35 day entries listed above if this is the copy group being
used?

Thanks
Scott