ADSM-L

Re: Reclamation

2006-04-25 15:41:43
Subject: Re: Reclamation
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:37:37 -0500
Assuming your drpool is tape based (and not remote disk), then you'll
always use at least one tape drive, but more often two will be used.  If
you've got enough diskcache then some of the data being reclaimed will
still reside there, so it will only mount the one tape necessary for
writing.  Once you get to data that's no longer in diskcache though,
it'll have to mount a 2nd tape to read from.

The only way I can see around that is if you found out ahead of time
what onlinepool volumes had the needed data, and moved it into diskcache
to be read later.   I would never attempt such a thing myself, as it
seems painful just thinking it.

>>> marc.crombeen AT COUNTY-LAMBTON.ON DOT CA 4/25/2006 2:01:11 PM >>>
Anyone have an idea of how to use a disk pool to do reclamation for
tape
storage instead of using 2 tape drives?

Thanks
Marc

DISCLAIMER:

If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, you are
hereby notified that
any disclosure or other action taken in reliance on its contents is
strictly prohibited.
Please delete the information from your system and notify the sender
immediately. If you
receive this email in error contact the County of Lambton at 519 845
0801 extension 405 or
email itsupport AT county-lambton.on DOT ca .

Confidentiality Notice follows:

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any)
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.