ADSM-L

Scheduling image backups

2006-04-23 21:44:45
Subject: Scheduling image backups
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:33:59 +1000
Hi all,

One more from me.  This is a cautionary tale :)

I've set up image backups on a Windows node (win2k TSM 5.3.0.0), and
can run them fine from the gui.  The node is a large-ish file server
(500GB) and I want to run image backups of the data volume
fortnightly to improve recovery times - ie, so I can run an image
+incremental restore if the whole thing goes toes-up.

When I ran the image backup via schedule I was getting ANS1113E the
snapshot cache location is not valid.

So, I tested this from the command line and sure enough got the same
error using

backup image d:

This was perplexing so I ran

backup image d: -snapshotlocation="d:\tsmlvsacache"

and this worked - or at least began to before I cancelled it.

But my dsm.opt contained

Include.Image "D:" IMAGEDATA IMAGETYPE=SNAPSHOT  blah blah
SNAPSHOTCACHELOCATION="D:\tsmlvsacache"

which had been generated from the GUI preferences editor,  so I
shouldn't have needed this.

Finally the penny dropped ....

backup image D: (note the capital drive letter) works like a charm.

Is it a bug - maybe- what do you think?

Steven Harris

AIX and TSM Administrator