ADSM-L

Re: Database backups

2006-04-21 12:47:59
Subject: Re: Database backups
From: Jim Zajkowski <jamesez AT UMICH DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 12:42:20 -0400
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, David E Ehresman wrote:

If you are able to afford to lose up to a weeks worth of data this seems
like a reasonable approach. Since you are only sending your copypools
tapes off once a week, if you lose your primary pool you will only be
able to restore up to the most recent Friday.

We did an back-of-the-envelope for recoverability to expense, and it was
shown to not be worth the cost to recover more than one week or so.  Our
daily incrementals on our main user data servers weigh in at about 5G a
day, total.

--Jim