ADSM-L

Re: Database backups

2006-04-21 12:24:29
Subject: Re: Database backups
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 12:13:01 -0400
If you are able to afford to lose up to a weeks worth of data this seems
like a reasonable approach. Since you are only sending your copypools
tapes off once a week, if you lose your primary pool you will only be
able to restore up to the most recent Friday.

>>> jamesez AT UMICH DOT EDU 4/21/2006 11:57:16 AM >>>
Hi folks,

I'm considering a database backup strategy something like this:

   a. Every day write incremental backups to a FILE devclass on a
      remote server.

   b. Every Friday write a full backup to the same remote FILE
      devclass.

   c. We take our copypool tapes out on Friday as well, so I would
      additionally generate a db snapshot to tape and remove it from
      the library at the same time.

Does this seem to pass muster?  My reasoning for the FILE backups is
that
I'd like to have a db backup in case the RAID/filesystem holding my
online
DB breaks, but I'm uninterested in buying a number of LTO2 tapes just
write a 24 gigabyte file to them.

--Jim