ADSM-L

Re: 3584 - determining available clean cycles

2006-04-21 03:22:13
Subject: Re: 3584 - determining available clean cycles
From: Josh-Daniel Davis <xaminmo AT OMNITECH DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 02:19:19 -0500
for the newer 1/2" tapes (LTO included), cleaning frequency is pretty
rare, except in cases where you have genuinely dirty tapes.

We have 36 drives, and they clean about once every year or two.
I've forced cleaning #2 on several drives because they got I/O errors and
out vault returns tapes with lots of external contaminants (dirt, grass
bits, etc from hauling tubs around in the back of a box-truck, loading
docks, etc).

We have pretty heavy utilization too.