ADSM-L

Re: Performance tracing

2006-04-12 10:24:46
Subject: Re: Performance tracing
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:21:17 -0500
I would agree with you on that one.  The only way to get 25MB/sec out of
a 100mb connection would be compression.  The most likely culprit then
is that something is sucking up cpu cycles during backups, which would
slow down compression.  Some other process might be running longer than
it used to, or there may be something new running on the box since then.
 Also an outside chance that something has changed on the network side
since then (nic driver, core switch, edge switch).  Would probably also
pay to have someone look at the network switch-port stats for that
machine, and check for any kind of errors.

>>> Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM 4/12/2006 8:29:50 AM >>>
Hi *SM-ers!
One of my customers is complaining about the backup performance of the
daily DP for SQL Server. The tdpsql.log shows that performance is 15
Mb/sec. which looks very fine to me for a host which is connected to a
100 MB LAN, but the customer showed me the TDP log from December last
year which shows a daily throughput of 25 Mb/sec and more!!!
My only guess is that this was caused by compression (how else can you
get more than 10 Mb/sec through such a connection) but I would like to
see what the client is doing.
I was thinking about starting a client trace (at the DP level or at
the
API level?) to find this answer.
What tracing parameters should I specify to see the time it takes for
the client to get the data, compress it and send it over the network?
do not want to much detail, since the backup runs during the night for
several hours, so a too detailed trace will grow very large...
Thank you very much for any hints or tips in advance!
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

http://www.klm.com . This e-mail and any attachment may contain
confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only. If
you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail
or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed, and that any
other action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly
prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail by
error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete
this message. Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its
subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect
or incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor
responsible for any delay in receipt.

Confidentiality Notice follows:

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any)
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.