ADSM-L

Re: TSM Linux client backup

2006-04-11 11:01:26
Subject: Re: TSM Linux client backup
From: Patrick Boutilier <boutilpj AT EDNET.NS DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:57:10 -0300
Jacquelin Bouchard wrote:
On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 01:32:00PM -0300, Patrick Boutilier wrote:
Jacquelin Bouchard wrote:
On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 04:47:20PM +0200, Stef Coene wrote:
On Monday 10 April 2006 16:21, Jacquelin Bouchard wrote:
Hi,

      I'm trying to backup a Linux server with TSM 5.3.3 client and,
i don't know why, the client don't backup
the directories /dev , /sys and /proc; all the other directories in /
are backed up.  Also, i don't see those
directories in the GUI interface.  Why???
They are virtual file systems.  You can see them with the mount command.
The
data in those directoryies only exists in memory.
Same for /proc on new AIX boxes.

Stef
Thanks to all,

   Stef, i run the mount command on my system and i see what you say for
these directories (/proc and /sys):

none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)

but i don`t see a similar line for /dev except for /dev/pts and /dev/shm:

none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)

Why??
What version/distribution of Linux?

Hi,

 Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 3)

Chances are you are running udev so nothing in /dev needs to be backed
up. Confirm by running:

ps ax|grep udev

Jacquelin Bouchard, UQTR