ADSM-L

Re: 3494 & Media Type

2006-04-11 09:08:12
Subject: Re: 3494 & Media Type
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:03:40 +0100
I have also seen this from time to time, and a good rub of the sticker on
the leg usually does the trick :-)

Farren
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|
|   Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU> |

|   Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor |                                           |
|   Manager"                  |                                         To|
|   <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>    |
ADSM-L@VM.|
|                             |                                 MARIST.EDU|
|   11/04/2006 13:50          |                                         cc|
|                             |                                           |
|         Please respond to   |                                    Subject|
|         "ADSM: Dist Stor    |                                 Re:       |
|             Manager"        |                                 [ADSM-L]  |
|      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> |                                 3494 &

|                             |                                 Media Type|
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|

On Apr 11, 2006, at 8:23 AM, David E Ehresman wrote:

> How does the 3494 determine which 'media type', e.g. 3590 J or K, a
> cart
> is? Our 3494 is starting to eject tapes as they are inserted
> complaining
> about unknown media type. These are tapes that have been in use for a
> number of years and are being reinserted into the 3494 after coming
> back
> from the offsite vault. Most of the time they are being correctly
> recognized simply by reinserting them into the library another
> time. Our
> non-IBM CE doesn't have a clue.

Hi, David -

We've seen the same thing here, with J tapes coming back from offsite:
insert a bunch, have one or two rejected with that media complaint.
Reinsert (one at a time), and the library then accepts the tape.
It may be that the laser/receptor is having trouble reading the 'J'
stickerette, where rubbing one's finger over it before inserting may
remove some residue which is imperceptible to us.

    Richard Sims

The information contained in this e-mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and confidential and intended solely
for the named recipient(s).  If you are not a named recipient,
you must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information,
open any attachment, or take any action in reliance on it.  If you
have received the e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete
the e-mail.

Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the
individual sender, unless otherwise stated.  Although this e-mail has
been scanned for viruses you should rely on your own virus check, as
the sender accepts no liability for any damage arising out of any bug
or virus infection.