ADSM-L

Library full

2006-04-10 11:51:45
Subject: Library full
From: Michal Mertl <michal.mertl AT I DOT CZ>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 17:31:40 +0200
Hello,

I have been running TSM 5.1.9.5 on Windows using Overland LoaderXpress
LXL1U11 SCSI LTO tape library for long time but haven't really been
doing anything with it. It was set up by someone else and I was only
checking from time to time that it seemed running. We had the library
replaced (because we suspected a problem on it) and from that time on I
have been trying to clean the old mess up (learning on the fly). The
library mostly worked but froze from time to time. I got the suspicion
that it froze when doing audit library and when it tried to read the
cleaning tape. The library vendor told me to change some settings on the
library - set reserved slot and autocleaning. This way the machine
connected to it won't be able to trigger the problem with cleaning tape
because it will be hidden to it.

The problem is that after changing the configuration of the library we
have problems with checking in the tapes.

I had 8 tapes in there of which only couple was used. I had lot of tapes
in the query volume which I wanted to consolidate. Therefore I removed
the empty scratch tapes with a series of "checkout libv LibraryX LabelX
checklabel=no remove=no" and replaced the tapes with the old ones. I
then run audit library and it finished sucessfully.

But whenever I try to check in a tape I get "ANR8314E Library LibraryX
is full".

I was thinking that the TSM may have problems with the changed library
(it had 11 stots before, now it only 10). I deleted the drive, library
and paths and created them again. Therefore I lost all the remaining
volumes and the situation is the same - I can't check in any volumes.
The audit library command finishes immediately with success.

I did some Googling and found multiple references of the problem
(library reporting being full when in fact it isn't) but can't see
anything relevant.

I also did one change which probably wasn't a wise one. During the
troubleshooting of the problem (before recreating library/drive/paths) I
changed some settings on the library - most notably the way how it
announces itself to the host to make it more closely match what IBM says
about it on
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&uid=swg21217885 .

I haven't noted down what setting was there before so I can't return to
it. There isn't as many options but the number of combinations (and
possibly necessary recreation of library/drive/paths in TSM) is quite
big. The problem is that the library needs to be restarted after
changing these parameters and the OS doesn't like it either. After
changing the setting and resetting (with software - Web TLC) the library
it eventually stops responding at all (the device disappears from
windows device manager).

I found a couple of APAR's (problem reports) which talk about similar
issues. I might have done also what is described in IC35882 - I thought
that with "label labelsource=prompt overwrite=no checkin=private" I will
check int the old tapes the fastest. Everywhere I am finding that "audit
library" should at worst fix all the issues but it doesn't do anything
for me at the moment (but it's possible I have everything (library
settings on the library, drive/library/paths in TSM) setup wrong at the
moment :-().

I'm terribly in need of help.

Thank you for any clue.

Michal