ADSM-L

Re: Netview and/or TEC integration ???

2006-03-22 09:42:27
Subject: Re: Netview and/or TEC integration ???
From: Michael D Schleif <mds AT HELICES DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 08:42:05 -0600

* David McClelland <David.McClelland AT REUTERS DOT COM>
[2006:03:22:13:41:04+0000] scribed:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Any particular reason why you'd want to send TSM events to Netview and
> *then* to TEC, as opposed to sending them directly to TEC and cutting
> out the 'middle man'?

I do not know.  Our TSM people have asked us to use these MIB's:

    adsmserv.mib
    AcslsMib.mib

I am attempting to review ALL monitoring options; then, to compare
available functionality to specific requirements -- which have yet to be
stated.

> Is Netview adding any extra value to these events for you or providing
> you with any extra visibility?

Precisely one of the questions I hope to answer.  I have NOT yet
acquired the MIB's; so, I do not know exactly what they do.  I have
reviewed the BAROC files.  Is there a one-to-one correspondence between
the SNMP and TEC functionality?

Anybody here already used BOTH?

Since even Netview sends events to TEC for correlation, and for
notifying administrators of problems; I would like to simplify this
process by going directly from TSM to TEC.  However, we will consider
implementing both approaches if there is mutually exclusive value from
both approaches ...

> Tivoli Storage Manager Server does include a TEC adapter built-in
> which requires minimal configuration (IP address of TEC server, TCP
> port that TEC is listening on, granularity of events etc), and also
> very comprehensive control over exactly which events TSM will forward
> on to TEC. Chapter 20 of the TSM Administrator's Guide gives you a lot
> of useful information on this:
>
> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v1r1/topic/com.ibm.its
> maixn.doc/anragd53619.htm

Yes, I am reviewing this.  I have NOT found where that resource compares
the two approaches.  What am I missing?

> Additionally/alternatively, there is TSM Operational Reporting - this
> might be able to give you some alerting/eventing with a little more
> control/flexibility, including the ability to write custom
> reports/monitors. My esteemed colleague Steve Strutt from IBM/Tivoli
> here in the UK put together a couple of years ago Redpaper on
> integrating TSM Operational Reporting with the Tivoli Framework to send
> events to TEC (including some rules correllation of which you speak) -
> see this link:
>
> http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/REDP3850.html?Open

Yes, I will pursue this.  Thank you, for your participation in this
matter.

What do you think?

- --
Best Regards,