ADSM-L

Virtual Volume Copy Pool Reclamation....

2006-03-17 10:59:53
Subject: Virtual Volume Copy Pool Reclamation....
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:59:27 -0500
Greetings, all.

I'm trying to work out exactly how IBM thinks virtual volume
reclamation is supposed to proceed, and also how we think it does in
fact proceed. ;)

Noodling around in the docs and QuickFacts, I find that volumes of a
devclass of type SERVER "may not be set to access=offsite", and
experimentation confirms this.

Such would lead me to the conclusion that SERVER devclass volumes
would be reclaimed in a manner logically equivalent to local volumes,
to wit a source virtual volume and a target virtual volume would both
be mounted, the source read from and the target written to.  This is
also what Dave said in Oxford, and what I see happening on some of the
servers.

However, on one of them servers I observe reclamation proceeding in
the 'offsite' manner, with a new virtual volume being built from
(many!)  mounts of primary volumes.  I'm not sure how I can control
this, but the difference is giving me the aggravations something
fierce.  I can see circumstances in which I might want to do things in
either way, but optimizations in favor of one are a pain for the
other.

Any ideas?

- Allen S. Rout