ADSM-L

Re: - load balance issue

2006-03-15 20:18:19
Subject: Re: - load balance issue
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:18:01 -0500
On Mar 15, 2006, at 4:24 PM, Vats.Ashok wrote:

We have about 270 windows clients running daily backup @ 18:00 it
chokes our server and we miss backup widow. My question is what is
better to do
                - create new schedules and split the 270 clients into small
groups
                - Or just leave one schedule and increase the duration window

Any help would be appreciate . TSM server 5.3.0. on aix p5

You don't mention doing schedule randomization, so that's a good
place to start. As the TSM Performance Tuning Guide says:
"TSM throughput can degrade if all client backups are started
simultaneously. It is best to avoid concurrent backups, and it would
be better to spread out the number of TSM client over a period of
time by using the randomizing feature of scheduling."

The "Top 10 Tips for Improving TSM Performance" TSM document likewise
recommends randomizing schedules. Having a large number of Backup
clients start at one time, all of them suddenly going after their
full list of Active files, is horrendous for the server. Grouping, as
you suggest, is another good approach, but also with reasonable
randomization. As Moe frequently proclaimed, "Spread out."

   Richard Sims