ADSM-L

Re: TSM Server Hosting - dedicated vs. shared

2006-03-14 11:24:00
Subject: Re: TSM Server Hosting - dedicated vs. shared
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:23:38 -0600
Hmmm. I'm facing a similar issue, even though my database is "only" 210
GB. But mine churns a LOT. Finding time for expiration is driving me
nuts. I've been designing an approach that will let me either run
multiple images on one server, or to distribute them to separate
physical machines. Realistically, I think I'm going to wind up with six
images spread across two large AIX boxes in two separate locations a
mile apart.

Alan Rout of the University of Florida has done a lot of work towards
standardizing and rationalizing this server-splitting process. Comments,
Alan?

But as we've grown into our present performance crunch, one thing has
become clear - being a TSM server is a 24-hour workload. So you can't
borrow cycles from your clients, except by forcing them to do the client
compression work for you. Problem is, you can say the hard work is the
backing up all night, but that's only half of it. We spend all day
running migration, expiration, storage pool backup, dead filespace
deletion (ouch!), DB backup, and downtime for maintenance. These are
tasks you cannot distribute to a client system which has its own job to
do in the daytime. If anything, our database is busier by day than at
night. Furthermore, the administrator of a client system might really
resent having its potential maintenance downtime hours so badly
restricted. So I'd actually say, your greatest struggle with this notion
will be political, but as has been said, your're also going to have a
bear of a time organizing it all, especially on systems you do not
directly control. I think you will be overwhelmed.

There is no free lunch, sorry to say.

P.S. Orville is right about licensing. A license is sold based on the
number of processors - client or server. If you add a 4-processor system
to your environment, whether it serves as TSM client, TSM server, or
both, it counts as +4 towards your grand total. This slightly, but not
strongly, favors running your TSM servers on systems with extremely fast
individual processors. (IBM sells these.)

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Orville Lantto wrote:

>TSM licenses (and pricing) has been based on the environment for some
years.  Check with your IBM Business Partner to get the details.