ADSM-L

[no subject]

2006-03-13 17:10:09
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:09:49 -0500
>> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:03:04 -0500, Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT
>> COM> said:

[...]

I've got 12 servers on 2 boxes at the moment, 6 of which are more or
less application-specific.

The more TSM server instances, the more complexity, and the more you
must depend on automation and automatic validation and monitoring.
Because of this, I would recommend against calving off a TSM server
only because there is a powerful box running app X.

I split one app off to its' own TSM server because of database
overhead: WebCT 'Campus Edition' which has some unsavory habits with
its' filesystem, and caused lockups.

I split one app off because it was excessively sensitive to outages:
Content Manager.

I split off my Cyrus back ends because each single node of them had
"big" databases (though they're teeny compared to yours).

So, if you have application Q which you would tend to split off even
if the split instance were to stay on your main TSM server, then I'd
consider that a candidate for motion to the other box.

---

Another thing to consider is that this opens up application Q to the
union of the upgrade / outage / maintenance issues of Q and TSM.  This
might be a non-issue, but could possibly be a big deal.  (What, we
need new tape drivers, to match the microcode applied yesterday
morning on the drives? Well, you can schedule a production outage for
next tuesday...)

---

Once you're over the automation/planning/monitoring hump for multiple
servers, and the additional hump associated with servers on multiple
hosts, you'll find that lots of concepts become much easier:  DR for
the TSM infrastructure gets more straightforward because there's much
less implicit state, you've made much more of it explicit.  This is a
lot of work, but gives good value.

- Allen S. Rout