ADSM-L

Re: Question on recommended excludes for TSM-Mac Clients with MacOS 10.4 ?

2006-03-10 11:28:15
Subject: Re: Question on recommended excludes for TSM-Mac Clients with MacOS 10.4 ?
From: Bill Verity <whv AT PSU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:12:43 -0500
I'm just a Mac user that uses TSM.  I just back up the Users directory on my
machine and some other machines that I help manage.  If I have a hard drive
crash, I'll just reinstall all the aps.  On my machine, TSM inspects around
55,000 files every time it backs up.

I started with the include/exclude items given in the "TSM System Preferences -
Sample" file.

It appears that Norton/Symantec has changed its file names a bit, so I removed
the 3 Norton lines and added "Exclude "...:Norton*"

I also noticed that LOTS of cache files were being backed up.  So I added
  Exclude.dir ...:...:Cache*
  Exclude.dir ...:...:.Cach*

Finally, I notice lots of trashed files being back up.  The sample contains a
"Exclude.dir ...:.Trashes" line.  Is this a typo?
I added a "Exclude.dir ...:.Trash" line since that is the name of the directory.

--
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Bill Verity - 814-865-4758  Fax: 814-863-7049
215A Computer Building - Information Technology Services, Penn State University
Somewhere on my Mac, of course ;-)