ADSM-L

Re: ndmp limitations

2006-03-08 12:23:35
Subject: Re: ndmp limitations
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 10:23:12 -0700
        We are dipping out toes in the NDMP pool for some of our largest
Qtrees. There are some pros and cons, and I believe someone earlier
today mentioned a few and I agree with them.

        In my mind, the biggest CON in using NDMP is the inability to
make copypool duplicates. This suddenly puts a HUGE hole in your DR plan
unless you start taking the primary tapes out of the library. And of
course then the data is not available for the day-to-day end-user
restores. IBM has indicated that NDMP data should be integrated into the
Storage pool hierarchy by the end of the year, so that should fix that
problem.

        The single thread per NDMP process can be a performance problem,
as mentioned before.

        The Full -incr -incr -incr ..-Full methodology is a step
backwards and if your retentions are very long, you will end up keeping
MUCH more data in TSM than through normal TSM backups.

        I don't believe that there is any way to differentiate
retentions for files in an NDMP backup. I believe that you have to keep
the whole vol/qtree for the same amount of time, so that is also kind of
a step backwards.

        Then there is the issue of needing one tape drive for every NDMP
process you have going. This can be remedied with a VTL, but for those
of us without one, it means tying up tape drives to NDMP...

        The one PRO that everyone sites is : faster backup times, and
that is true, but depending on the TOC size, the restore performance may
be very poor.

        So you can get tell I'm not really impressed with NDMP, however
we are still looking into it. Our reason is that we have some NT
filesystems with over 10- 24 million files that we back up using a
Windows client so we can get the ACLs, and the performance is HORRIBLE.
We are talking multiple days for an incremental backup.
        - We can't use the journaling feature, because that only works
on local disks, not CIFS mounts.
        - We can't use NFS mounts because we lose the ACLS. We ~could~
backup the ACLS separately and reapply them to restored files, but
operations balks that creates too much room for error in these days of
SOX/HIPPA regulations.

Ben