ADSM-L

Re: ndmp limitations

2006-03-08 10:28:29
Subject: Re: ndmp limitations
From: John Bremer <jbremer AT LANL DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 08:25:45 -0700
Greetings,

We've been using TSM with NDMP for over a year, and while we want our
customers to use our service rather than Legato (the predecessor),
there are some limitations:

(1) There are situations where TSM (or NetApp/NDMP) does not
translate certain file/path names properly, and TOC builds fail.  We
have been working with IBM quite a lot on this, and have resolved
*most* issues;

(2) TOC loads on the TSM server are *excruciatingly* slow.  We have
thrown all the hardware and memory we can at the server, and some TOC
loads still take 4 hours (yes, that is not a typographical
error).  Granted these are multi-TB volumes with millions of files,
still there should be a better way to get the TOC records from disk
to database.  That's another problem we have open with IBM, and we
are working with their performance people.

(3) We recommend defining as many virtual mapping points as possible:
volume restores can be done in parallel, and above mentioned TOC
loads are quicker.  It adds another level of administration, but no big deal.

We recently restored a 3.3TB volume which took about 29 hours, using
one 9940B drive.

Overall we are happier with TSM using NDMP than backing up these
large filers over TCP, through a TSM backup client (though file level
restore was/is a lot better there).

John

Folks

is anyone out there using TSM (ndmp for net apps) we seem to have struck
a bug/limitation with netbackup
and are looking at moving to TSM.    need to be confident that
it will not bug out at less than 3 TB

Allan Mills | AIX and TSM Administrator
Business & Technology Services | New South Wales Police

8835 9286 (internal 29286)

This message and any attachment is confidential and may be privileged or
otherwise protected from disclosure. If you have received it by mistake,
please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system; you
should not copy the message or disclose its contents to anyone.

All mail is subject to content scanning for possible violation of
New South Wales Police
electronic Mail Policy. All persons are required to familiarise
themselves with the
content of the policy located on the MEMO Bulletin Board and on the
NSWP Intranet.