ADSM-L

Restores showing as successful but are not.

2006-03-07 16:26:22
Subject: Restores showing as successful but are not.
From: Dennis Melburn W IT743 <melburn.dennis AT SIEMENS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 16:24:08 -0500
Recently we had a drive on one of our servers accidentally deleted, and
so a TSM restore process was started to recover the information that was
lost.  The restore was thought to be a success, but as days went by,
more and more users were reporting that files were missing.  I queried
the summery tables for the restore sessions of that particular server
and noticed that even though it says it was successful, it did not
finish because for whatever reason the session was lost (network outage,
etc).  We did not think to look and see if there was a restartable
restore at the time, because the restore was reported as being
successful.  When we opened a ticket IBM support, this is what we got:

"If the restore process stops because of a power outage or network

failure, the server records the point at which this occurred. This

record is known to the client as a restartable restore." -IBM TSM

My question is how does the client inform you that there is a
restartable restore that needs to be done, and why in the database, is
it showing that the restore session was successful, when in fact this is
false.  Is there something that we missed?  Any help in this regards
would be greatly appreciated.

Mel Dennis