ADSM-L

Re: Novell Backup Errors

2006-03-01 09:46:10
Subject: Re: Novell Backup Errors
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 08:45:01 -0600
My confusion was the use of "q tsa nds" during setup of the client,
since it's not necessary to make nds backups work.  All you need for
that is to add NDS: to your dsm.opt DOMAIN statement.  Also, oddly
enough you've gotta be careful to try older tsa versions also.  I always
try the newer first, but for the last several versions things have a
tendency to break, then be fixed, then break again in the next version.

One thing I forgot to ask previously was what netware version/patch
revision he's at.  I'm assuming he's at some rev of Netware5 given the
tsa he's using, which also leads to questions about what kind of volume
vol1: is (tfs/nss).  He may want to run a vrepair, or nss poolverify,
just to make sure all's well with the filesystem.  Might also be a good
idea to run a full repair of the nds partition that this server is in.

Troy Frank
Network Services
University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation
608.829.5384

Troy Frank wrote:
> Not sure what to tell you on that one. I've never used/heard of using
"q tsa nds".

Used when backing up the NDS itself.

I've only ever done "q tsa".
> One other thing to think about....Just because you successfully did
"q tsa" doesn't mean the user account has rights to the volume you're
trying to backup. I would doublecheck that user's rights on that
server.

Also make sure you are using the latest TSA nlms.

> Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I tried that per the Novell
client
> install guide from the start, and have already tried deleting the
> tsm.pwd and re-authenticating with 'dsmc q ses', 'dsmc q tsa' and
'dsmc
> q tsa nds'. Could that be it? Is it only necessary to run a 'dsmc q
> tsa', and not 'dsmc q tsa nds' for some of the clients? Bear in mind,
> used the same procedure for install and configuration, with 1/4 of
the
> clients currently able to back up properly.

Of
> Troy Frank
> Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 4:56 PM
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Novell Backup Errors
>
> During install, there's a step where you're supposed to specify the
> username/password that the tsm client runs under (dsmc, q tsa). That
> username needs to have rights to whatever you're trying to backup.
If
> you need to redo that step, delete the tsm.pwd file from
> sys:\tivoli\tsm\client\ba, then do a "dsmc q sess", followed by "dsmc
> tsa".

> Because I can afford to start fresh backups on these clients, I
> deleted
> the filespaces associated with them, unloaded and reloaded the
modules
> needed for TSM, and re-ran the backup. Now I am getting the
following
> for many, many files...
>
> 02/28/2006 14:30:19 (TSA500.NLM 5.4 306) A data stream cannot be
> opened.
> 02/28/2006 14:30:24 ANS1228E Sending of object
> 'VOL1:/APPS/ie55sp2/IECIF.CAB' failed
> 02/28/2006 14:30:24 ANS4007E Error processing
> 'VOL1:/APPS/ie55sp2/IECIF.CAB': access to the object is denied
>
> What do I do to make TSM able to access these files? What kind of
> permission does TSM need, and where do I give it the access in
Novell
> world? I will continue searching in the meanwhile, but any
assistance
> is
> greatly appreciated.

If