ADSM-L

Re: AW: (Too) long no query restore?

2006-02-24 10:48:05
Subject: Re: AW: (Too) long no query restore?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:47:20 -0500
Ironically, the most crucial part of the TSM product - restoral -
has become its most troublesome.  Since the advent of the
well-intentioned NQR, when customers perform qualified restorals
they never know what to expect in terms of restoral speed.
Indeed, restorals can end up being prohibitively long.

I'm incredulous that IBM *still* has not tackled and resolved
this long-festering problem in the product, which has simply
lingered for years now.  Descriptive APARs and Technotes only
tell of alternatives for when the customer runs into a
debilitating restoral, but we see no initiative to address the
architectural problems.  TSM is an Enterprise level product,
and yet a crippling problem of this severity remains in it?
Not good.

   Richard Sims