ADSM-L

Re: BACKUP DB Question

2006-02-23 10:48:58
Subject: Re: BACKUP DB Question
From: Dave Zarnoch <zarnocd AT NATIONWIDEPROVIDENT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:48:06 -0500
I calculated that our DB is @61GB
The manufacturer says the tape can hold 50GB compressed

What do you think is happening?

Dave Zarnoch
Nationwide Provident
zarnocd AT nationwideprovident DOT com
W 302-452-4197
C  302-462-8703

                      Richard Sims
                      <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>             To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          cc:
                      Dist Stor                Subject:  Re: [ADSM-L] BACKUP DB
Question
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      02/23/2006 10:01
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

On Feb 23, 2006, at 9:50 AM, Dave Zarnoch wrote:

> We have a TSM DB Backup that occurs every morning:
> 02/23/06   07:18:47      ANR4550I Full database backup (process 918)
> complete,
>                           16707519 pages copied. (SESSION: 17232,
> PROCESS:
> 918)
> I'm a little bit leary that it also tells me that it fit the backup
> on 1
> tape. ...

Dave -

If you do 'Query DB Format=Detailed' you will see your db page size
and thereby can compute the actual amount of space required on the
backup volume. Compare that with your technology specs, and take into
consideration compression which may be in effect per your Devclass.

    Richard Sims