ADSM-L

Re: Exporting ADSM/VM Data to an (ASCII-based) TSM Server

2006-02-13 02:26:20
Subject: Re: Exporting ADSM/VM Data to an (ASCII-based) TSM Server
From: Volker Maibaum <volker.maibaum AT EBERSPAECHER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:26:00 +0100
Hi,

yes we did exactly the same, although we moved from ADSM 3.1 to TSM
5.2.x
on zLinux.
We used 3590 tapes and moved to 3592 tapes on the new server.
Probably the easiest and fastest way would be to do an initial backup on
the
new server and throw away the old backups after a couple of months...
Unfortunately this was only possible for some of our servers. All in all
we ex-/imported
about 10 TB.
The throughput was very different depending on the filespace and node
that was moved. Because collocation by filespace was not possible in
ADSM 3.1, exporting
a specific filespace meant to mount all tapes of the corresponding
node.
We archived a throughput of about 3-9 MB/sec. We also used hypersocket
connections.
I think tape mounting and positioning and ADSM database were the
bottleneck - not the
network.

regards,

Volker