ADSM-L

Disk config question - Block size

2006-02-09 18:35:56
Subject: Disk config question - Block size
From: Andy Huebner <Andy.Huebner AT ALCONLABS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 17:34:37 -0600
I am preparing a Clariion CX-300 for TSM disk pools.  TSM will be the
only system so I can tune it from end-to-end.
There will be two 4+1 RAID5 groups holding the disk pools.  RAID5 or
RAID3 are the only choices due to the number of disks that were
purchased and the amount of space that I need.

The settings we are considering:
Element size of 64k.  This means a 256k write from TSM is one stripe.
Cache block size of 16k.  Larger I/Os for the disk pools larger cache
blocks should work better.
AIX Logical Volume block size of 64k.  This will match the element size.

Has anyone done this type of tuning and been able to test variations?

Andy Huebner

This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential and may be legally
privileged. If you are not an intended recipient or an authorized
representative of an intended recipient, you are prohibited from using, copying
or distributing the information in this e-mail or its attachments. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail and delete all copies of this message and any attachments.
Thank you.