ADSM-L

Re: 3584 installation instructions

2006-02-06 11:39:12
Subject: Re: 3584 installation instructions
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 11:38:51 -0500
Geoff -- which model, and what kind of tape drives?

In general, if the drives are fiber-attach, you'll have one (LTO) or two
(3592) fibers per drive. Run these into your network san switches and
zone the switches to logically connect the drives to the AIX system
fibers.

Run cfgmgr on AIX to acquire the drives (after installing the Atape
device driver, if it isn't already there).

In the 3584 the tape drives get a generated wwn with the last two digits
indicating column and drive within column. If you have just one frame,
or all drives are in the first frame, the column digit will be zero. The
drive digit runs from 1 (top drive) to c (bottom drive, number 12).

The library itself will be /dev/smc0 and is a second lun on the first
drive.

If you have multiple switches/fibers to the AIX box, be aware that you
will get ALL the drives on the first switch in the chain, and then the
drives on the second, and so on. This means that the /dev/rmtx numbers
will not necessarily match the wwn.

Example -- my system. 3584 with 10 LTO2. All the odd-numbered drives in
SAN switch1, all the even-numbered drives in SAN-switch2, and three
fibers to each switch from the AIX system.

/dev/rmt0       is wwn x01      drive 1
/dev/rmt1       is wwn x03      drive 3
/dev/rmt2       is wwn x05      drive 5
/dev/rmt3       is wwn x07      drive 7
/dev/rmt4       is wwn x09      drive 9
/dev/rmt5       is wwn x02      drive 2
/dev/rmt6       is wwn x04      drive 4
/dev/rmt7       is wwn x06      drive 6
/dev/rmt8       is wwn x08      drive 8
/dev/rmt9       is wwn x0a      drive 10

/dev/rmt10      is wwn x01      drive 1, next host adapter (alternate
path)
And so on, through /dev/rmt59

You'll also get a /dev/smcx for each path; only /dev/smc0 is valid
unless you opted for the control path failover option on the library.

You can check the wwn for a drive with lsattr -El rmtx

Is this wat you were after, or did I just confuse the issue?

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc