ADSM-L

remote copy disk pool

2006-02-03 07:27:31
Subject: remote copy disk pool
From: "Crosskey, Adam - Resources, ICT Services" <Adam.Crosskey AT OXFORDSHIRE.GOV DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:26:53 -0000
We are trying to get our metapool to backup to a copy pool hosted on another
server, to allow faster recovery of these small files, in the event of a
disaster.
Our recovery plan involves restoring the TSM server to the server which
hosts the 'metacopy' pool. (This server is TSM server at another site, also
backing up clients, and it will backup its metapool to a metacopy pool on
the first server.) We also have the metapools backed up to our tape DRM, in
case the disk metacopy pool is lost.

The TSM servers are 5.3.2.1, on Windows 2003 sp1.

For test purposes, the destination directories are shared, Everyone Full
Control at the share, and also Everyone Full Control ntfs.
The metacopy pool is configured to use 50MB volumes, max 200 scratch vols
allowed.
When we run the 'backup stg metapool metacopy' we see volumes being created
in the destination directory, of the correct size. The volumes do not get
fully used before they are marked 100% full and another vol is created as
shown below.

Volume Name                            Storage                   Device
Estimated    Pct   Volume
                                                   Pool Name    Class Name
Capacity   Util   Status
------------------------  -----------  ----------  ---------  -----
--------
\\CENTSM01\METACOPY\000-  METACOPY     METACOPY          0.3  100.0    Full

 00F7A.BFS

\\CENTSM01\METACOPY\000-  METACOPY     METACOPY          0.3  100.0    Full

 00F7B.BFS

\\CENTSM01\METACOPY\000-  METACOPY     METACOPY          0.3  100.0    Full

 00F7C.BFS

\\CENTSM01\METACOPY\000-  METACOPY     METACOPY         50.0    0.3  Filling

 00F7D.BFS

\\CENTSM01\METACOPY\000-  METACOPY     METACOPY         50.0    0.0   Empty

 00F7E.BFS

Has anybody else tried this?
Can anyone think of a way of geting this to work?
All suggestions gratefully received!
Thanks,
Adam Crosskey

The information in this e-mail, together with any attachments, is
confidential. If you have received this message in error you must not print
off, copy, use or disclose the contents. The information may be covered by
legal and/or professional privilege. Please delete from your system and
inform the sender of the error. As an e-mail can be an informal method of
communication, the views expressed may be personal to the sender and should
not be taken as necessarily representing the views of the Oxfordshire County
Council. As e-mails are transmitted over a public network the Oxfordshire
County Council cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or
completeness of this message. It is your responsibility to carry out all
necessary virus checks. www.oxfordshire.gov.uk