ADSM-L

How does a user access a DATAMOVER?

2006-01-31 15:45:01
Subject: How does a user access a DATAMOVER?
From: fred johanson <fred AT UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:34:55 -0600
I originally sent this late last Friday afternoon, which, I know, is not a
good time to look for a response.  So I try again.

We've spent months working with a DATAMOVER, and now it's fairly
straightforward - sitting in an office and having full access to TSM.  But
when we turn it over to the user, how does he get access?  We've thought of
two ways:  1.  Give them an ID on the server itself and let them use
DSMADMC with the Client ADMIN password and let them log in via SSH; and
2.  set up a WEB client for the NODE (which is node t=nas).  We've never
implemented the WEB client, for security reasons, and don't even know if it
works with a DATAMOVER, but it seems like less of a danger than letting
people loose on the server itself.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

While I'm at it, we'll be rolling out a VTS box for the mainframe folks
this Spring, and will have to face the same question then.  I hope the same
solution will work for both systems.

Fred Johanson
ITSM Administrator
University of Chicago