ADSM-L

Why is Q FILESPACE so slow?

2006-01-30 16:00:40
Subject: Why is Q FILESPACE so slow?
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:00:22 -0600
The TSM QUERY FILESPACE command, with a wildcard for nodename, takes
FOREVER. On our system, a big TSM server with about 1000 nodes, a Q
FILESPACE * * can take 20 minutes to an hour, depending on how busy the
server is doing other things.

I finally got tired of this sluggishness, and put together a simple SQL
SELECT that asked the same question, just to see what would happen. It
was fast.

What is going on here? Why should the performance difference be about
two orders of magnitude? (100x) (As I recode a bunch of scripts I have
to change Q FILESPACE into SELECT.)

============= What if there were no rhetorical questions? ==============