ADSM-L

Oracle RMAN and TSM

2006-01-30 13:31:22
Subject: Oracle RMAN and TSM
From: Richard Mochnaczewski <Richard.Mochnaczewski AT STANDARDLIFE DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:30:58 -0500
Hi Everybody,

I have a dedicated disk pool for one specific Oracle RMAN backup using 8
channels of a database at 300Gb. The backup takes about 2 hours, but if I clean
the cache on the pool, I will see no storage space usage until the channel
session has ended. So, at the end of the backup, the storage pool usage will go
from 0% to about 66%. My storage pool size is 310Gb and I don't enable
compression. Two questions :

1) What is TSM doing with each channel's data being sent ? Is it buffering it
somehow ?
2) Because my database is abouot 300Gb, why does the storage pool show 66%
usage ? Shoudldn't it be more ?

Rich