ADSM-L

Re: DB2 backup - connection unstable ?

2006-01-24 09:23:20
Subject: Re: DB2 backup - connection unstable ?
From: Brian Ipsen <bri AT DMSAVE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:22:45 +0100
Hi,

 Digging through the documentation from Tivoli gave me a clue - somehow,
DB2 want to put logs in the archive copy group of the default management
class in the domain, where the node is registered. I wonder why it isn't
possible to assign a management class to the logs...

Wierd - but anyway, it seems to be running now...

Regards,
/Brian

>> On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:58:59 +0100, Brian Ipsen <bri AT DMSAVE DOT COM> said:

> Hi,

>  I've got an issue with a DB2 database running backup towards a TSM
>  > server... for some wierd reason, it keeps
>  dropping/re-establishing the > connection towards the server...  >
>  The activity log on the server says:

What's your idle timeout?

I've seen one factor that tends to result in dropped sessions in many
environments: botched network at the client side.  If you can get full
bandwidth in and out of the client, then that's not it.

One factor relevant for DB2 is that DB2 sometimes takes a while
twiddling its thumbs between tablespaces.  If your timeout is
sufficiently small, this might give the session time to expire.  But
from your log, that'd have to be a really short time, like in the
minute range or under.  That sounds suspiciously low to me.

- Allen S. Rout