ADSM-L

HSM on Windows Filesserver

2006-01-20 04:15:41
Subject: HSM on Windows Filesserver
From: Volker Maibaum <volker.maibaum AT EBERSPAECHER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:15:00 +0100
Hello,

we are also thinking about the possibility of using HSM on our Windows
Fileservers.

I was wondering what happens if a user is opening the search dialog of
the windows explorer and searches for all files on a filespaces
containing the string "XYZ".
Would this start a retrieve of all files previously migrated to TSM? If
so, could this be avoided in some way?

Is there way how to delete all previous versions of a file in
HSM-archive when a new version is migrated?

What happens with files in HSM-archive when a user deletes a stub-file
(because he doesn't need the file anymore)? Is the archived file also
deleted? Or does the archived data grow on forever?

regards,

Volker