ADSM-L

Re: Can TSM data tapes be read by other programs?

2006-01-19 10:23:49
Subject: Re: Can TSM data tapes be read by other programs?
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:23:15 -0500
It's been a while since I actually looked at the content of a TSM tape,
so I may be mis-remembering here -- but it looked to me like TSM writes
ANSI-standard multiple-file tape volumes.

There's a VOL1 label with the tape volser in it, and an HDR1 label
(IIRC) for each file; the 'filename' field of the HDR1 looked to have a
tsm database record number instead of a file name. And then the data,
just as it came from the client -- compressed if the client compressed
it, encrypted if the client encrypted it, or plain ol' raw ASCII if
that's the way it comes across.

So any text fields in your Oracle database (for example) will be
readable -- names, addresses, phone numbers, SSN's, whatever.

Then a tape mark, another HDR1, and another file.

VOL1 and HDRx records are ANSI-standard 80-character unblocked. (Wasn't
ADSM V1, or it's predicessor, a mainframe package?)

And, of course, copypool tapes will match the original storagepool tapes
-- just straight copies of the data, no other fancy magic.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc