ADSM-L

Re: Virtual Volumes on loopback.

2006-01-16 21:41:39
Subject: Re: Virtual Volumes on loopback.
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:41:19 -0500
>> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 15:04:03 +1000, Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT
>> INFO> said:

> Now, there used to be an idea that you could do this with
> server_to_server communications that used the loopback interface on
> so that the source and the destination servers are the same actual
> TSM instance.  There was also some information that this didn't work
> particularly well at TSM 5.1 or 2.

> Has anyone gotten this scheme to work at TSM for Windows 5.3?  OS is
> Windows 2003, but that _shouldn't_ make any difference.

I haven't done it back to the same _server_, but I do a lot of this to
a different server on the same _box_.  I'm on AIX, but I understand
the multiple-servers-on-one-box to be similar for Windows.

The receiving server has dramatically smaller DB than most of those to
which we're accustomed: I've two of them, one with 70MB and another
with 200MB of database.  This means that a variety of DB backup
methods which are middling insane for a full-scale TSM server are easy
for these.  (I call them 'copies' servers, because they mostly hold
stgpool copies for me.)

For a 'copies' server, it's plausible to backup db to a FILE devclass
locally resident, and rsync / rcp / whatever your filespace to several
other places.

I've got DB backups, backupsets, and stgpool copies variously being
handled with this method.  Mostly pretty smooth.

- Allen S. Rout