ADSM-L

Re: Pre-fetching a restore?

2006-01-12 13:37:00
Subject: Re: Pre-fetching a restore?
From: Jim Zajkowski <jamesez AT UMICH DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:35:37 -0500
On Jan 12, 2006, at 8:18 AM, Allen S. Rout wrote:

I'd say make sure that you pre-stage the data to a different storage
pool than your usual landing pad, if you can possibly find the space.
You could fill up the landing pad, and have it start migration, and be
chasing your tail for quite a bit.

Thank you all for the pointer to move nodedata, that does do what I
want.  My question is a follow-on:

Say I have the normal disk storage pool (eg, DISKPOOL) that then
migrates to TAPEPOOL.  I create a new disk pool named PRESTAGE.  I
then MOVE NODEDATA from TAPEPOOL to PRESTAGE.  That works great.

My question is, what should I do after I've either restored the
machine or not had to?  Should I move the data back to the tapes?
Should I set a migration from PRESTAGE back to TAPEPOOL?  I see that
the tape that had the client's data was reduced by an appropriate
amount because of the move.

Thanks a bunch, your combined expertise is fantastic!

--Jim