ADSM-L

Re: Unable to complete backup of Window's 2000, client failing with - PrivFindDir: No memory to allocate new DirEntry

2006-01-10 17:44:10
Subject: Re: Unable to complete backup of Window's 2000, client failing with - PrivFindDir: No memory to allocate new DirEntry
From: "Schaub, Steve" <Steve_Schaub AT BCBST DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:43:46 -0500
David,

Having just gone through this type of "fix" in our environment (breaking
multi-TB drives into smaller chunks), I totally agree with Richard - and
we had to do it on W2k3 machines, which theoretically should have been
able to handle it.

Your customer needs to understand that the application is "requiring"
the O/S to break it for them (or at least promise a high degree of
future instability).

Regarding the use of journaling - this will solve some of the problem
*only* if the machine has a relatively low change rate.  If files are
being created/updated/deleted in large quantities, you will see frequent
journal service crashes.

Steve Schaub
Systems Engineer, WNI
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee