ADSM-L

Re: Primary disk pool volume limit

2006-01-09 10:25:39
Subject: Re: Primary disk pool volume limit
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 10:24:52 -0500
On Jan 8, 2006, at 9:06 PM, Andy Huebner wrote:

When I do a show thread there is a line that is "Thread table size". I
am assuming that is a thread limit of some sort.  Do you know if
this is
correct?

It would seem to be TSM's personal choice for a table which manages
thread information. There's no doc on this that I know of, but may be
the table in which TIDs area created in pthread_create() operations.
We don't know if it is of fixed size, or whether TSM may reallocate
it if the table needs to be larger. My hunch is the latter.

FYI, here's a snapshot of mine, at a time when the server is busy
with backups:

Thread table size:  128
Active threads:     94
Zombie threads:     0
Cached descriptors: 5

I have reduced the storage pool volume count by about 150 and TSM was
able to handle more sessions before it would no longer accept
connections.  This makes we believe that there is some sort of
limit on
the number of threads that is well below the AIX 5.1 limit.  This
limit
may be something doing with available RAM or some other cause.  I do
think I inadvertently found the cliff and jumped...

A thought: Threads space comes out of the Heap. When starting the TSM
server, assure that your memoryuse Unix Resource Limit is not
artificially low. (In csh and tcsh, see this with the 'limit' command.)

   Richard Sims