ADSM-L

SQL Logs and Backup conflict

2006-01-09 09:15:23
Subject: SQL Logs and Backup conflict
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 09:15:08 -0500
We are looking for a creative solution (or answer) to a long outstanding
"issue" when it comes to SQL TDP backups.

We have a major M$-SQL shared server.

There is an HOURLY schedule to dump the transaction logs.

When the daily backups kick off, the hourly transaction log backups then
proceed to fail, causing constant annoying "schedule has failed" messages,
until the DB backups finish.

How do other folks handle this kind of conflict ?  Are we missing some TDP
backup option ?

My prefered solution would be to have TSM scheduling be more flexible,
e.g. only run this schedule between 10am and 10pm.

Your thoughts ?