ADSM-L

Re: IBM 3581 Autoloader question

2006-01-09 08:14:24
Subject: Re: IBM 3581 Autoloader question
From: Kelly Martin <kelly.lynn.martin AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 07:14:10 -0600
On 1/9/06, Tomáš Hrouda <throuda AT htd DOT cz> wrote:
> I need advice with use of IBM3581 7-slot Autolader. As I know it is without
> barcode reader (in my case), but I think it is optional. Is it possible to
> use it as "library" in TSM (I mean mount any volume what I need) or does it
> only work in sequential (cycle) mode? Does this autoloader have in general
> changer device in system or not?

I used a 3581 with TSM 5.1.5 on Windows 2000 during a DR drill a
couple years ago.  It works adequately well, once we got past setting
up the element configurations.  It works just like any other automated
library, although if you do not have a barcode reader it has to load
each tape into the drive to read the label, which makes it rather slow
to use, and I would not recommend it other than for low-volume,
specialized, or emergency use.

Kelly