ADSM-L

Re: Primary disk pool volume limit

2006-01-06 07:31:12
Subject: Re: Primary disk pool volume limit
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 07:30:05 -0500
On Jan 5, 2006, at 11:29 PM, Andy Huebner wrote:

Maybe I should have pointed out that this is not a theoretical
question.
Are 1800 volumes too many?  We have been experiencing TCP connection
failures since reaching this number. ...

Andy - You obviously need to look for ANR messages in the TSM server
       Activity Log for cause.

Keep in mind that the parallelism gained through an increasing number of
storage pool volumes exacts some overhead: for every such volume
there is
a server thread (DiskServerThread, as seen via SHow THReads).  A high
number, on top of TSM's threads complement for its other activities, may
be pushing the per-process threads limit defined in your operating
system.

  Richard Sims