ADSM-L

Re: 3584 logical library

2005-12-30 17:31:12
Subject: Re: 3584 logical library
From: Len Boyle <Len.Boyle AT SAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:31:07 -0500
Hello Jim

With the 3584 ALMS optional feature, thing become even more interesting.

With ALMS you define volser ranges assigned to each virtual library, and I
believe that you can not have one range assigned to more then one virtual
library. The library assigns the tape to a virtual library based on the volser.
With the latest library code level the i/o station is virtualized. So as the
tapes are put into the entry port the library moves the tapes to storage slots
and assigns them to a virtual i/o station up to a user defined max number. An
interesting side is that when the library moves the tapes from the real i/o
station to the storage slots it uses both grippers to move 2 tapes at a time.
But I believe that you can still use the web interface to unassign the tape and
assign it a different virtual library. But I have not tried this other then our
first testing.

len