ADSM-L

Re: TSM Client for z/OS

2005-12-22 14:16:40
Subject: Re: TSM Client for z/OS
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:16:30 -0500
No.

Mainframe catalog/filesystem structure is too totally different from
open systems file structure.

Open systems backup products do not understand mainframe legacy
filesystems.
Mainframe backup products do not understand unix & windows filesystems.
Period.

The open systems HFS on the mainframe is a unix-style filesystem living
INSIDE a mainframe-style VSAM data set container.
So the mainframe backup product can back up the container file, but if
you want backups broken down to the file level inside, you use the TSM
z/OS client.

Try looking for some mainframe tape drives on the used market, or lease
some temporarily.
Not sure what you mean by "having I/O problems with our tape
cartridges".
If you have bad new media, return it to the vendor and they will replace
it.
If the cartrdiges are relatively new and the drives are flaking out,
that's a maintenance or environmental problem (dust, power supply, etc.)
If it's really old stuff breaking down, well,  that's a management
problem.

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)