ADSM-L

Re: Suggestions on best stategy for our site

2005-12-20 15:11:47
Subject: Re: Suggestions on best stategy for our site
From: "Pugliese, Edward" <EPugliese AT NYBOT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:11:42 -0500
We have a similar set-up with FAStT storage in two locations that are
not mirrored.  Although we use the IBM 3583 tape library.  This is how
we approached the problem of not extending the SAN to the DR location:

TSM in location A is created with library client and library manager
instance.
DR site is at location B.  TSM in location B is created as library
manager instance.
Client data goes to disk pools on library client at location A.   Disk
pools are large enough to store each days incremental.  We use
server-to-server communication to backup disk pool to remote virtual
volumes at location B.  These go to local disk pool at location B and
then migrated to 3583 library at location B.  We then migrate the disk
pools at location A to the local tape pools at location A.  The data now
exists in both locations.
Each night a database backup is sent to the remote location along with a
backup of the volhist (so we know what virtual volume contains the DBB).

During a disaster we have scripted to recreate the library client
instance that existed at location A to location B.  We then restore the
DBB and mark the primary storage pool destroyed.  Now if we need to
restore a client we point to the new instance of the library client and
it will get the data from the virtual volumes stored on the library
manager at location B.

The longest part is the DB restore but it is currently a manageable time
frame.