ADSM-L

TDP for SQL cross-machine restore config questions

2005-12-19 16:49:26
Subject: TDP for SQL cross-machine restore config questions
From: "Schaub, Steve" <Steve_Schaub AT BCBST DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:48:54 -0500
TSM serv 5.2.2.0 & 5.2.4.3
TSM client 5.3.0.5
TDP client 5.2.1.0

12 SQL Server machines, each of which has 2 or 3 SQL Server instances -
some in the 600GB+ range.

Currently, each machine is defined to TSM as a node named <machine>_SQL

Problem: TSM is used for "cloning" prod databases to test machines
(cross-machine restores).  This is done by our SQL admin via the TDP
gui.  Frequently, he forgets to "undo" the changes this process makes to
the .opt and .cfg files, and backups get sent to the wrong node name, or
fail.

Question:
1. I want to script a front-end that will allow him to plug in the
machine & instance and then execute the gui using overrides, but I'm not
sure exactly which ones are needed and which ones are not.
2. Assume I want to restore a database from instance "ADAM\EVE" into
instance "CAIN\ABEL".
3. If I'm on server CAIN and I specify SQLSERVER=CAIN\ABEL and
FROMSQLSERVER=ADAM\EVE , do I still have to somehow override the node
name as well?
4. If I used a generic node name like SQLSERVER on all the backups,
would that buy me anything on the restore side as far as any machine
being able to see all the instance backups?

thanks.

Steve Schaub
Systems Engineer, WNI
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee
423-752-6574 (desk)
423-785-7347 (cell)

Please see the following link for the BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee E-mail
disclaimer:  http://www.bcbst.com/email_disclaimer.shtm