ADSM-L

Re: lto2's and TSM 5.3

2005-12-19 14:45:15
Subject: Re: lto2's and TSM 5.3
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 14:45:04 -0500
It is a misconception that using collocation means you have to dedicate
one tape per cleint.

As the previous poster noted, you can implement collocation by group in
TSM 5.3.

Prior to 5.3, you could always control the amount of tape collocation
uses by setting the MAXSCRATCH parm on your storage pool.
If you have 100 clients, and set MAXSCRATCH to 25, then TSM will stack
(approximately) 4 clients per tape.

Pro:  Less work (as in INSTANT)  to implement than collocation groups.
Con:  You have to keep and eye on  your MAXSCRATCH parm.  As the amount
of data in your library grows, you will naturally have to increase
MAXSCRATCH.

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)