ADSM-L

Re: manual tape drive

2005-12-19 10:30:27
Subject: Re: manual tape drive
From: Bob Booth - UIUC <booth AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:30:20 -0600
On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 07:19:19AM -0800, Gill, Geoffrey L. wrote:
> I've set up TSM 5.3 in a test environment with an external dat drive.
> Unfortunately since I've only worked with automated libraries I don't know
> the process for checking in a scratch tape to use with TSM. I also haven't
> been able to find the solution in the manuals so I was wondering if someone
> could help me out please? I guess I'm not sure why the commands seem to be
> readily available for automated libraries but not this case. I've been able
> to label some tapes just fine.

You don't check in tapes in a manual mode.  Pre-label your tapes with dsmlabel
or label libv.  TSM will ask for a scratch tape to be loaded when it needs
one, and you just plop it in to the requested drive.  Once the label is
read, it is registered to the storage pool.  When the tape is emptied it is
deleted.

hth,

bob