ADSM-L

Normal # of failures on tape libraries

2005-12-13 11:31:21
Subject: Normal # of failures on tape libraries
From: Dennis Melburn W IT743 <melburn.dennis AT SIEMENS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:31:00 -0500
Our sites use ADIC Scalar 1Ks as well as one ADIC 10K.  The Scalar 1Ks
have  4 LTO1 drives in each and the 10K has 34 LTO2 drives.  We
experience occasional failures on these drives and have to replace them.
My question is, is it normal for a site that has alot of drives to
experience drive failures about every 1-1.5 months?  My manager is
rather annoyed at the fact that it seems that we are constantly
replacing drives even though it doesn't cause any downtime for our TSM
servers while they are being replaced.  If this is a normal part of
having tape libraries then that is fine, but I don't have enough
experience in this field to say either way, so that is why I am asking
all of you.

Mel Dennis