ADSM-L

Re: Define path for direct attached fiber

2005-12-13 09:14:08
Subject: Re: Define path for direct attached fiber
From: "Johnson, Milton" <milton.johnson AT CITIGROUP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:13:49 -0500
 We use a Sepaton S2100-ES2 without problems.  Vicki's advice is sound:
make sure the vendor's product is TSM certified; make the vendor supply
an evaluation system and test thoroughly.

A VTL should faithfully emulate a particular physical ATL and particular
physical drives.  It should not require any drivers or patches unique to
the VTL.  Keep in mind the following points:

1) If you configure your VTL to be out of specs with the physical ATL
you are emulating, your backup application, i.e. TSM, may have a
problem.  For example if the physical ATL has a max of 800 slots and you
configure 1500 slots TSM may complain.

2) The VTL is a software/hardware product.  All software has bugs and
you may get bit, but then you may get bit by a software bug with a
physical ATL also.  The important thing is how responsive is the vendor
when an issue does arise? This is where interviews with present
customers is important.  Insist on speaking to customers that have
experienced problems.  If the vendor can not or refuses to provide as a
customer reference someone that had a problem that was successfully &
promptly resolved then look for a different vendor.  Also remember that
with a physical ATL you will always be subject to failures caused by
wear to mechanical parts.  The only mechanical parts in a VTL are fans
and drives, and redundancy protects you against those failures.  Overall
you should expect a quality VTL to be more reliable then a physical ATL,
at least this has been my experience.

Good luck, I am glad I went to a VTL,
Milton Johnson