ADSM-L

dsmerror.log in TSM 5.3

2005-12-02 16:53:38
Subject: dsmerror.log in TSM 5.3
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 16:53:11 -0500
Ok, so TSM client development has decided that starting with TSM 5.3,
the dsmerror.log file has to be writable, or else it will fail.

Why?  What was the overwhelming reason to make this behavior change?

Unless I am missing an easy solution to this problem, this is going
to cause our users grief, and I don't see a simple solution.  I liked
it better when the client just continued to work, but didn't write to
the error log.  Now we have to explain to our users that they have to
rewrite their scripts, or they have to set environment variables, or
they have to be careful which directory they run TSM out of.  They
don't need this annoyance.  I don't see the reason for the change.

grr.

Does anyone know if MacOS X has something similar to an /etc/environment file?

..Paul

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Systems                  Fx: 607-255-8521