ADSM-L

Re: Still huge problems with Mac OSX client 5.2.3.12

2005-12-02 07:37:09
Subject: Re: Still huge problems with Mac OSX client 5.2.3.12
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 12:35:47 +0000
Hi all

Many thanks for all the help with this, but it looks like converting the
file systems to Unicode is the only way forward. So now I have a 500Gb
backup to do, oh dear :-(

All the best to everyone

Farren Minns
Solaris System Admin / Oracle DBA
IT - Hosting Services
John Wiley & Sons Ltd

|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|
|   Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU> |

|   Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor |                                           |
|   Manager"                  |                                         To|
|   <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>    |                   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU    |
|                             |                                         cc|
|   01/12/2005 16:45          |                                           |
|                             |                                    Subject|
|         Please respond to   |                   Re: [ADSM-L] Still huge |
|         "ADSM: Dist Stor    |                   problems with Mac OSX   |
|             Manager"        |                   client 5.2.3.12         |
|      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> |

|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|

On Dec 1, 2005, at 6:47 AM, Farren Minns wrote:

> ...I have never seen such problems with any other clients flavours
> and I
> really don't know where to start looking. ...

Farren - I have some familiarity with the Mac client, but was hoping
that
         a regular user of it would have insights and post a solution.
Whereas whole directories are seemingly being left out of the backup, by
all means check for Excludes or ownership/permissions underlying that.
Given the gross nature of the issue, pursuit should be simpler than with
an insidious issue.

A means of pursuing further is to perform diagnostic backups...
Go into Preferences: in Diagnostics, Enable Tracing, select an output
file for it, and start with Trace Flags "perform general".  That will
produce minimal output, where it will tell you exactly what options
are in effect during the operation and what was excluded.  You can
escalate to more profuse trace flags as needed.

   Richard Sims

The information contained in this e-mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and confidential and intended solely
for the named recipient(s).  If you are not a named recipient,
you must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information,
open any attachment, or take any action in reliance on it.  If you
have received the e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete
the e-mail.

Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the
individual sender, unless otherwise stated.  Although this e-mail has
been scanned for viruses you should rely on your own virus check, as
the sender accepts no liability for any damage arising out of any bug
or virus infection.